U bent hier
Full text of my essay published in Frans Smit, Arnoud Glaudemans and Rienk Jonker (eds.), Archives in liquid times, Stichting Archiefpublicaties, 's Gravenhage, 2017.
A perfect match? Connecting partners in the labyrinth of information 1
In this essay I will give some insight into the results of my quest as an archivist2 to understand the fundamentals of information. It is not only about trying to understand the complexity, but mostly to grasp or grock this phenomenon. With the verb grock one indicates that he or she is to understand completely and thoroughly an object, subject or issue (Heinlein, 1961). At one point I was surprised to notice that the common perception of complexity of information and information management overshadows the relative simplicity of the outcome of the grocking.
As an archivist in Leeuwarden I am on an almost regular basis confronted with born digital information. I have to answer questions related to (functional) requirements and tenders for digital systems, change management, information architecture, system management, process development and management, migrations, and conversions. The answers have to be simple, preferably fitting on one page (e.g. as a checklist), because those who are asking are not interested in long considerations, reports and notes. Often there is not much time and quick decisions have to be made. It makes my job interesting, because old and new theories clash sometimes.
A couple of years ago I became
Er zijn relaties te leggen tussen informatiefilosofie en informatie- en archiefbeheer. Dit biedt de mogelijkheid en vooral de basis om het vakgebied van de archivaris met filosofische methoden en gedachten een aangepast gedegen fundament te geven die een antwoord kan zijn op de digitale ontwikkelingen. Een fundament dat het papieren paradigma kan overstijgen.
Metadata is informatie met informatie over informatie.
Veelgebruikte trefwoorden ed.
Termen en begrippen
Sites en/of Pagina's
- Archiefwiki - Terminologie
- DUTO - begrippen (wiki)
- Glossar ausgewählter archivfachlicher Begriffe
- A Glossary of Archival and Records Terminology
- ICA - Multilingual Archival Terminology
- InterPares Glosssary
Specifically in the context of relationships between entities and the metadata of an entity, a metadata element is said to contain a reference when its whole purpose is to store the unique system identifier of another entity.
- Relationships between entities are realised by one entity referencing the other.
- If a user is authorised to inspect both entities then the MCRS must allow the user to browse the relationship, from one to the other, in either direction. (disambiguation) MoReq2010® also uses the term "reference" in its more general sense.
- For example, most functional requirements have a "function reference" which is simply an index to the information model that allows the reader to look up the function definition matching the requirement.